Gifted Education aims to bring out the potential in gifted or talented students. Our mission is to explore and develop the potential of gifted students and provide them with opportunities to receive education at appropriate levels.
These aims and objectives will be accomplished by:
- Provide methods and tools for identifying potentially talented students
- Provide special pedagogical methods for the development and promotion of talented students
- Co-ordinate all the gifted development programs at school and outside of school
- Create a database about gifted education programs and students
- Liaise with and organize all the people involved in the programs, including teachers, students and their parents
Operation Mode of Gifted Education in Hong Kong
A three-tier operation mode is adopted in implementing gifted education in Hong Kong:
A : To immerse the core elements advocated in gifted education i.e. high-order thinking skills, creativity and personal-social competence in the curriculum for ALL students;
B : To differentiate teaching through appropriate grouping of students to meet the different needs of the groups with enrichment and extension of curriculum across ALL subjects in regular classrooms.
C : To conduct pull-out programmes of generic nature outside the regular classroom to allow systematic training for a homogeneous group of students (e.g. Creativity training, leadership training, etc.);
D : To conduct pull-out programme in specific areas (e.g. Maths, Arts, etc.) outside the regular classroom to allow systematic training for students with outstanding performance in specific domains.
E : The Gifted Education Section of EDB and The Hong Kong Academy for Gifted Education cooperate with or/and commission tertiary institutes/educational organisations/bodies to provide challenging off-site enrichment and extension learning opportunities for exceptionally gifted students nominated by schools.